Friday 20 June 2014

AKJ_Food


 Well,

I can imagine that some people would be hanging out for a post about food...I'm going to talk briefly about some of the food experiences I've had in Japan. It won't be by extensive, but more of a short entree to wet your taste buds for the food that you might see throughout my future posts, especially the imminent travel posts!



Washoku

Washoku is the word for Japanese food or dishes. I learnt a little about it in class, where our example dish was the below.




The main points that I took are that Washoku is often comprised of various small plates which contain neatly set out items of food. I suppose that's really all I wanted to say about that...



Cooking Onigiri

A group of us got together to cook Onigiri, or rice balls, which are a pretty common item of food in Japan that can be eaten at any time of the day. All that is needed to make Onigiri is rice, nori (seaweed) and some kind of filling. Our choice was tuna and Kewpie mayonnaise. 




The hard part of the process was trying to get a triangle shape...We succeeded in the end...well, most of us...



Mochi

Mochi, or soft rice cakes are a food you see a lot of in Japan. In the past, I've participated in making them by pounding the rice into what you see on the outside. This is often done around New Year. 

But, even though it's not New Year, I've come across some mochi this time, which is a bit unfortunate, because I don't go much on anko (red bean paste), which is the typical filling...





That concludes my short and very specific discussion on food - but don't worry, more is on the way! 




No comments:

Post a Comment