Wednesday 30 April 2014

AKJ_Karate



Well, I'm finally ready to report back on my Karate ventures in Japan.

At present, I'm attending two separate dojos; the one at my University, and an independent dojo. 

The University club is not Goju, but Toshin-kai (東真会) style. I'm attending this dojo because it's convenient and a good way to make friends. The style isn't that different, and it's interesting to notice the differences. I like the opportunity to do a bit of extra exercise.

The second dojo that I'm attending is one that I sought on the internet. This dojo is part of the Nagoya Goju-kan. So, basically, it's the same style. However, this dojo comes under a different organisation than the I.G.K. It is affiliated with the Japan Karatedo Goju-kai Association (JKGA) and the International Karatedo Goju-kai Association (IKGA). As the picture below shows, it is much the same:





The practice that I attend is held in a sports centre, so the space is often shared. Also, from what I've seen so far, it is a reasonably small dojo in terms of students. I am enjoying training with the students there (most of those I've met so far are younger than me).

But, if there's one thing I've learnt so far about Karate in Japan, it's that you can rely on training times to be unreliable and unpredictable. Therefore, the times that the dojo I'm currently attending may not be suitable all throughout my time here. 

This fact also helps explain my attendance at the Toshin-kai dojo (if you thought I was just particularly enthusiastic, continue, by all means!). Despite attending both, so far I haven't had more than 2 lessons a week. Although it may settle down in May, it's useful to have a couple of options for training just in case.

Well, that's about it. I've only been attending both for under a month, so things may change as I go along...if so, I'll be sure to give an update.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment