Saturday 15 November 2014

AKJ_Tea Ceremony


Hi all,

Tea Ceremony is something that I've long had a vague idea about, but not any real information about what is involved beyond drinking tea. Apparently they have various styles, kind of like karate, so I can only comment on the tea ceremony that I observed.

I'm really glad I got the experience to observe (and take part in minus the bowing etc) a tea ceremony, because it was actually pretty surprising. Tatami mats are set out, and the participants (the people who are going to drink the tea) walk on one at a time, in a set pattern, in part to avoid stepping on the joins in the tatami. Sometimes there were a set number of steps, or the participant had to step off a certain foot first, and the method of walking was kind of like that which can be seen in various Japanese theatre styles.

Anyway, all of this walking was to get to certain places. First the participant had to go and bow and look at the flower arrangement and scroll, and then go and look at the implements for making tea. Finally they went to one side of the mat and sat in seiza (on knees) to wait for their snacks and tea.

As I say, I was intrigued by all of the rules and patterns, but not particularly inspired to actually follow them myself, but luckily I could still have tea - but I did have to sit in seiza...


 Bowing to the flowers...


It was also interesting to watch the process of making the tea.


Stirring the macha (tea) with the special brush.








Thanks to Okubo san for the photos.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment